Friday 15 April 2011

Educating yourself

If you're a first time mom-to-be, it is so important to educate yourself before hand.  You may think that you'll be okay with just the advice from the older generation of females in your family, like your mom or aunts or grandmothers (which is always helpful), but so much has changed since the previous generation of moms.  Research is a constant and continuous thing, that there's so much information out there - one that can benefit you greatly, if you take advantage of it.  

If you live in a place that offers free pre-natal classes either by the hospital or a women's resource centre, then I urge you to take advantage of it. These classes are awesome and are extremely informative especially if this is your first child. But don't overwhelmed by the fountain of information.  It's best to take it slow.  You're probably not going to remember half the things in those first few weeks after the baby arrives BUT, you will remember, gradually.

It's important to note that pre-natal classes are not the same as Lamaze classes, which focuses entirely on breathing through labour pains, preferably without an epidural.  Most pre-natal classes cover a wide range of topics like Normal & Abnormal Delivery, Breastfeeding, Immunization, Infant & Child CPR, Post Natal Care at Home etc.  

I was so concerned that Breathing During Labour was no longer part of the pre natal classes that we signed up for.  How on earth am I going to know how to breathe?  To be honest, while one of the classes briefly covered different techniques breathing during different stages of labour, you really won't remember any of it while in labour.  Your OBGYN or midwife will guide you through the final stages of labour, telling you when to push and asking you to hold your breath while pushing all the while counting for you.  My doctor had me trained so well in the first few minutes that I knew when to hold my breath and push by looking at the next contraction on the fetal monitor.  Note, I said looking, not feeling, as I decided to get the epidural, which I will cover in another post.

So at the end of the day, don't fret.  Remember to take it one step at a time, deal with it as it comes, because like any situation, it's daunting and overwhelming when you're looking at the big picture.

I also recommend the following  books which I think every pregnant woman should read.  If you cannot afford to buy them ask around, I am sure friends would not mind lending theirs to you.  I loved all three of these.  They also make great gifts!



Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment