Tuesday 12 April 2011

Bibbity boppity boo

Some may tell you you're going to need a LOT of bibs, some may say not so.  Whom do you listen to?

This largely depends.  If your baby is going to be exclusively breast fed, then NO you won't need a lot of bibs.  If however, you plan on introducing formula to your baby, either as a top up to breast milk or exclusively, then YES, you're going to need a LOT of bibs.

So, which kind are the best?  Bibs with the plastic backing are great as they are leak proof, but you do tend to get sick of them after a while.  Besides, if your baby falls asleep right after a feed, removing this bib most assuredly makes a crinking sound, one that always wakes my son up.  

Regular cloth bibs are great at not letting your baby get overheated, especially if you live in a hot climate, however, they are obviously not 'wet' proof.

I have both and I tend to go back and forth between the two.  I love the cloth bibs as they are great for when your baby begins to drool (a sign that he/she will be teething soon).  My son began drooling at about two months, and boy was it a LOT of drool.  He always has on a cloth bib, even now (with his first tooth at six months), he drools even more.  Most times we'll just slap on a plastic backed bib for a feed, but there are times his hunger can't wait.

Which brings me to this, when buying any kind of bibs, try to stay away from white ones - formula can leave behind a wicked stain which is not always easy to get out.  Besides there are such adorable ones out there, it's so hard not to buy them all.  I love the neutrals which I co-ordinate with my son's outfits.

I just saw this extra large one this weekend that would have been perfect for my lil' boy.  It read:"LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS".  I would have totally bought it, had not been for its gigantic size.

And finally, whether your baby is breast or bottle fed, you're going to need a LOT of burp cloths.  My husband loves these for the most obvious reason!  Besides, that wet feeling on your neck or shoulder is no fun, especially when, at many times, do not get to wipe it off right away. 


UPDATE (June 2, 2011):
I've all but stopped using the plastic bibs now.  Lil Mr. Man is so distracted by the crinkly sound they make, that he tries to rip them off as soon as they're on.  He's now almost eight months...

No comments:

Post a Comment