Sunday 10 April 2011

Pink or Blue?

Pink or Blue, I welcome you!

What's one of the first things new moms do when they find out what they're having?  BABY SHOPPING!  I ran into a second time mom-to-be of an already 10 month old girl this weekend.  She was having a boy this time around and I could hear her talking on her cell about how she has no clothes for her second child, because all she bought the first time around was PINK!  That's a shopping list she'll have to check off again, except in blue this time around and that can get pricey!

Here's the thing, if you know you're going to have more than one child, and this is your first, venture into the world of neutrals.  There's nothing wrong with it!  In fact you really should because everyone else is going to get your baby pink stuff if it's a girl and blue stuff if it's a boy.  Believe me!

Case in point, one of my dear friends who had a girl a couple of years ago, bought everything in pink.  She also got a ton of stuff in pink during her baby shower.  In fact she had so much pink things that by the time her little one was about to make her debut into the world, she 'got sick of looking at all that pink'.  She hardly ever buys her girl pink anymore, leaving that to friends and family.

Here's my experience, when I found out I was having a boy, I hardly bought anything blue.  I'm all about making things work as many times as I can.  Ok, so maybe I bought him a couple of blue items but, for the most part his clothing were all neutrals or white (which by the way, don't bother with too much, because you'll get sick of seeing your baby in white all the time).  My son also had a lot of greens, yellow, aquas and even some reds and oranges.  And what do you know, most of his gifted outfits were BLUE, in fact they were all blue!  By the time I was done compiling, detagging and sorting out the laundry I was glad I had not bought much blue items for him, because there was the gift pile, literally the blue mother load!

And, can we talk about baby blankets for a moment, every blanket I have ever received for my son has been BLUE or some variation of blue.  Here's a funny anecdote: Christmas morning, we're opening gifts at my parents place and I come across a blue blanket.  This will have joined the five (I kid you not) blue blankets my son already has.  All I could say was 'If I see get another damn blue blanket, it won't be too soon', totally missing the look my brother gave my mom.  When I opened his gift I realised what the look was for.  Here was ANOTHER blue blanket!!!  And my all by brother could say was, 'I just heard what you said, so if you don't want to keep it I understand.'   This was my brother, also the Godfather!  How could I not keep this blanket?  I assured him this was ONE blanket I would keep and cherish, for two reasons, one because it was from him and secondly he went through the trouble of getting a handmade one (one crocheted by his friend from whom it was purchased).

So, go for neutrals.  If you're shopping for a particular baby, buy them a neutral set, their moms will be sure to thank you for it.

And to help you find some neutrals, as many stores don't help the situation below are some online shopping links just give you an idea:



1 comment:

  1. Great work Candice! Love reading your blog..
    I swear Isabel has all shades of pink in her wardrobe :-) and for sure me too don't want another pink blankie

    ReplyDelete